The story of Bethel Baptist Church is a remarkable account of God’s ongoing good work (Philippians 1:6).
The work began when two men from Central Baptist Church in Victoria had a desire to plant a church in the Cowichan Valley. Their desire became a reality on November 28, 1937 when 25-30 people gathered together in downtown Duncan for the first worship service.
On June 12, 1940 Bethel Baptist Church was officially constituted and the young congregation called their first Pastor.
In 1949 the people became burdened about reaching those living in Cobble Hill. Therefore, they began a Sunday School ministry in that community. In 1953, eleven members of Bethel were sent to form Cobble Hill Baptist Church.
God has abundantly blessed BBC with wonderful property on Ypres Street where He enabled them to move in 1950. They continued to grow numerically and in 1958 built a new auditorium and added a portable on it’s current property.
Always passionate about reaching people in the Cowichan Valley for Christ, Bethel Baptist Church has been involved in establishing a camp ministry and planting churches in Lake Cowichan and Ladysmith. They have reached out to the community through their Love Works projects and ministered to several Chinese people through an ESL ministry.
The people of Bethel have not only been involved in local outreach. They have also done all they can to help spread the gospel around the world by supporting missionaries and sending thousands of dollars over seas through special offerings. God also enabled some of the people to go on a short term missions trip to the Dominican Republic.
God has, “begun a good work” here at Bethel Baptist Church. But He’s not finished yet! It is in faith and great excitement the people of BBC look forward to what God will continue to do.